Monday, June 2, 2014

Wasted space under the stairs = New Canning Closet

 Canning Closet
I have never lived in a 2-story house before, and we had no idea what to do with this wasted space under our stairs? It had a very low wall that you had to squat to get under, then very tall ceilings... it just didn't make sense! I decided to do a little home renovating. It cost about $100 for all the supplies (wire shelves, paint, new molding, saw to cut out the wall, blade to cut through the metal studs and the drywall).  We debated wood shelves vs wire shelves and decided wire shelves would be lighter and sturdier for what I need.

We cut the super low wall out so I could walk through it, then finished the wall and put molding up so it looks like a entry way. My grampa is an amazing help for these little projects I find (by help, I mean I come up with a plan, and buy the stuff and he does all the work). All  I need now is a little light to go in there because it is pretty dark.
 Overall it wasn't very expensive, or hard to do. I honestly couldn't be happier with the outcome. It is one of my favorite little rooms in the house!

It all started when I got my pressure canner for Christmas... I started my first pressure canning project in January and was immediately hooked. I have had so much fun learning about canning, and building up my little emergency supply. With hurricane season approaching, I know there is a chance we might be losing power at some point and I will be prepared! I have several different soups, stews, chili's, spaghetti sauce, salsa, bbq sauce, jelly, beans and refried beans... I'm hoping to start building up my vegetable supply with my garden harvest this summer. Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment