Saturday, July 12, 2014

Lemon Cucumbers in my Garden

I (accidentally) started growing an heirloom called Lemon Cucumbers this spring. Some of my seeds got mixed up but I planted pickling cucumbers because I wanted to make my own pickles. Well, that was my intention anyway. In the last month, my cucumber plants have been going wild with flowers and these yellow tennis balls have been emerging. I kept waiting, thinking that they will eventually turn green and elongate, so I left them on the vine.

Week after week, they got bigger and bigger but never really turned green. Clearly, these were not regular cucumber.  I posted pictures around asking if anyone knew what kind of cucumbers they were. Maybe squash? 

Now, they have been identified as lemon cucumbers. So after doing some research I discovered a few things.  I let my little lemon cucumbers stay on the vine too long, they don't taste anything like lemon-not even a hint, and I CAN still pickle them! You can guess what blog will be next right...pickled lemon cucumbers! 





No comments:

Post a Comment