Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Spaghetti Sauce (with whole tomatoes) - Pressure Canning Recipe

I went to our local Farmers Market yesterday and I scored on tomatoes! They always have great deals, but I got a 30 pound box for $10. So I grabbed a few onions and peppers while I was there and decided I was going to make spaghetti for dinner, and do some pressure canning to follow.

I don't do a lot of measuring when I cook, I usually add a little and taste, add more and taste until I get it where I want it. I tried to get a rough estimate as I was adding spices and such so I could "create" a recipe to share. My suggestion is to take this "base" recipe and alter it to suite your families liking. Some people like mushrooms, some don't. Some people like adding red pepper flakes, others don't. I made a meat free sauce, so if you would like to add meat make SURE you alter your cook pressures/times as needed.

Great veggie additions to this sauce are mushrooms, sliced zucchini and sliced carrots.

Ingredients:
30 lbs tomatoes
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped bell peppers
3 tsp garlic salt
2 tbsp oregano
1 1/2 tbls basil
2 tbsp minced parsley
2 tsp black pepper

**MEAT OPTION: 2-1/2 lbs ground turkey, beef or sausage cooked until brown (again make sure you adjust canning time if you add meat)


Yield: About 9 pints (we ate if for dinner so and I canned the rest so this is a rough estimate as well)

Procedure:
Prepare all of your cans, lids and rings in advance and have them ready to go.
1) Dip tomatoes cold water and slip off skins. Remove cores and quarter tomatoes. Boil 20 minutes, uncovered, in large saucepan. Put through food mill or sieve. I like my sauce a little chunky so I only blend about half my tomatoes and leave the other half really chunky.
2) Bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered, until thick enough for serving. If you feel like this is too thin you can add a small can of tomato paste. If you feel it is too thick add a can of tomato sauce. As I said this recipe is very flexible to meet your needs.
3) Saute onions, garlic, celery or peppers, and mushrooms (if desired) in vegetable oil until tender. Combine sauteed vegetables and tomatoes and add remainder of spices, salt, and sugar.
4) Stir frequently to avoid burning. Fill jars, leaving 1-inch headspace.

Process for 25 minutes - If you are 0-1000 ft altitude process at 10 pounds pressure, if you are above 1000 ft process at 15 pounds pressure.

After the canner is completely depressurized, remove the weight from the vent port or open the petcock. Wait 10 minutes; then unfasten the lid and remove it carefully. Lift the lid with the underside away from you so that the steam coming out of the canner does not burn you. Place jars on a towel on the counter, standing upright. Check them after 24 hours to make sure they have a good seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment